About Me

My photo
My husband, Kyle, and I are the proud and busy parents of two little boys, Kaleb and Jacob. Kaleb joined our family in December 2009 and we welcomed Jacob in April 2012. We both work full time outside the home, I am in the field of Learning and Development. I have a passion for studying the brain and how we learn, which translates beautifully to watching my boys grow up and discover their worlds. I'm also into learning about nutrition, herbalism, food-as-medicine, natural alternatives, and homeopahtic remedies. I hope to provide an uncut view of what life is really like as a working mom, minus the instagram filters and facebook bragging...I'll save that for facebook ;)

Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Does "Magically Balance It All" count as a 5-year plan?

My boss wants me to complete something called an Individual Development Plan, everyone at my work has to do this. The point of it is to lay out my career goals for the next 3-5 years, to state where I want to be and then come up with a list of steps I'll take to get there. When she asked me "So, where do you want to be in 5 years?" I said something like "Well, I think it would help if I had any idea of what my current role is...haha" or something like that (I've been operating with no job description for a little under a year now, kind of a floater filling in on all kinds of projects, cool but draining when it comes to exercises like this one). But, I digress. The issue, the reason this is post worthy, is that I am at the point where I might just need to make some decisions. And, the scary part, I may need to actually start voicing my desires.

For almost 2 years now, since I found out I was pregnant, I have been wrestling internally with the answer to this question. Before my pregnancy I was on the fast track. At the risk of sounding like an ass, I'm really good at what I do, I have the talent, skills, and initiative to go far in my field. I knew I would eventually start a family and that, at that distant time in the future, I would need to scale back career. With Kaleb being a surprise, I was left needing to re-figure my plan, and that is proving to be challenging.

I don't see myself keeping a heavy focus on career, I need to slow it down because I want my focus to be on my child, and future children. I already know this to be true, but I don't know how to make that happen. Because, you see, I'm not okay with completely leaving my career behind and becoming a full time SAHM, at least I'm not to that point yet, things could change, but for now I still see myself as being somehow involved in my field while at the same time raising my family. I also don't want to be "Career Mom" who works 8-5 every day and has to miss out on soccer games and Parent Day at school. I need to find a way to balance my career and my family.

And, while I am fully aware that I'm not the first woman to face this dilemma, it IS a new one to me and I am struggling with deciding on a plan.

Aaaaand, Mr. Amazing Husband has just plated our dinner for tonight, so its time to manage the third role in my life, Wife :) More on this topic to come, for sure!

No comments:

Post a Comment