About Me

My photo
My husband, Kyle, and I are the proud and busy parents of two little boys, Kaleb and Jacob. Kaleb joined our family in December 2009 and we welcomed Jacob in April 2012. We both work full time outside the home, I am in the field of Learning and Development. I have a passion for studying the brain and how we learn, which translates beautifully to watching my boys grow up and discover their worlds. I'm also into learning about nutrition, herbalism, food-as-medicine, natural alternatives, and homeopahtic remedies. I hope to provide an uncut view of what life is really like as a working mom, minus the instagram filters and facebook bragging...I'll save that for facebook ;)

Saturday, February 4, 2012

2012 Goal: Family dinners

Right now, I see to it that my family eats dinner every night, and that the dinner they eat it is nutritional (with a little leniency every now and again on that front). The only issue is, we don't eat all at the same time. Kaleb eats his dinner at 6:30, while I sit with him and talk to him. Then Kyle and I eat our dinner after Kaleb is in bed. Timing-wise this has just been easier. When I get home from work I'm able to just be with Kaleb and not be focused on prepping a dinner for all of us to eat. Also, we just kind of evolved into this routine since Kaleb as an infant and young toddler was on a totally different schedule than we were for eating. However, my goal of this year is to figure out how to make eating dinner as a family every night a reality.

Kaleb is 2 now, and his schedule is predictable and can be easily aligned with ours. He is also more capable of entertaining himself while I prep and cook a meal. I have the mom-thing a little more under control now than I did when Kaleb was in his first year. I am also starting a new schedule at work, where I will be out of the office by 4:45 at the latest every day, which means I'm home by 5:15 or 5:30 reliably. If I aim to have dinner on the table by 6:30 each night that gives me an hour from start to table. With some forethought as to menu, and maybe even a couple hours during Sunday nap time spent chopping veggies and prepping sauces, I think this is a reasonable and doable undertaking. I know working moms across the country pull it off, and there is no reason I can't as well.

I'm giving myself this week to lay out my menus and my shopping plans. I will do my main shopping trip next weekend, and then that following week I am committing to at least 2 nights of family dinner at 6:30. I already have a decent rotation of crock pot dinners, and a nice collection of go-to quick dinners. And with the combination of an internet full of recipes, and a group of other moms I know who do family dinners, I'm going to be able to pull this off.

I am hoping that, by starting now, I'll have myself on a routine well before the baby comes (only 9 more weeks!!!). I expect some slacking on the family dinner qualities during those first few weeks (pizza, takeout, etc) but will also maybe have discovered some great freezer dinners I can prep during that week I'm on maternity leave before he arrives. Then it will be summer and we'll be into the always-easier cooking season of grilling almost all our dinners.

It is important to me that my boys grow up in a home with family dinners every night. I am excited to see how far I've come on this goal by this time next year!

1 comment: