About Me

My photo
My husband, Kyle, and I are the proud and busy parents of two little boys, Kaleb and Jacob. Kaleb joined our family in December 2009 and we welcomed Jacob in April 2012. We both work full time outside the home, I am in the field of Learning and Development. I have a passion for studying the brain and how we learn, which translates beautifully to watching my boys grow up and discover their worlds. I'm also into learning about nutrition, herbalism, food-as-medicine, natural alternatives, and homeopahtic remedies. I hope to provide an uncut view of what life is really like as a working mom, minus the instagram filters and facebook bragging...I'll save that for facebook ;)

Thursday, July 21, 2011

This house is cleeee-auh!

It would appear that Kaleb's 10+ day streak of clinging to me and dissolving into tears and fits over any frustration has passed, praise the Lord!! Yesterday and today I got 'good reports' from day care (meaning he didn't bite, hit, or push any friends and didn't raise hell for his teachers) and our mornings and nights have been pleasant and full of giggles and smiles again. It is sooo great to have my sunshine boy back to his happy self. What changed? I have two theories:

1. I've immersed myself in reading about temperament, age-appropriate behavior for toddlers, and realistic expectations for parents to hold. This has helped in a number of ways. I've got a richer and more accurate vocabulary now to use when thinking about Kaleb's behavior, I have a better understanding of the world from his perspective, and, perhaps the most helpful of all, I know that this is completely normal behavior and that we aren't at all the only parents who experience this. I've come across an arsenal of parent-tested tips and ideas for preventing, avoiding, weathering, and picking up the pieces after meltdowns. Just reading the stories of other parents who have navigated the toddler years with an active, perceptive, low frustration tolerance child has been beneficial in helping me feel less helpless, less alone, and less embarrassed by the major meltdowns. All this has caused me to step back, objectively (or at least as objectively as possible) consider Kaleb's behavior and my reactions to it, and see specific things I can do to help him manage his frustrations and emotions. I'm sure that my own approach and attitude adjustment have made a difference in my own perception of Kaleb and his actions.

2. Whatever demon had possessed my sweet angel boy has grown tired of torturing me and has moved on to some other poor unsuspecting family.

Whichever of the two options it was, I'm feeling better, more confident, and ready for whatever comes next. Also, a little apprehensive of whatever comes next, cuz ya know it is going to be something! One phase down, on the next, whatever that may be!

No comments:

Post a Comment