About Me

My photo
My husband, Kyle, and I are the proud and busy parents of two little boys, Kaleb and Jacob. Kaleb joined our family in December 2009 and we welcomed Jacob in April 2012. We both work full time outside the home, I am in the field of Learning and Development. I have a passion for studying the brain and how we learn, which translates beautifully to watching my boys grow up and discover their worlds. I'm also into learning about nutrition, herbalism, food-as-medicine, natural alternatives, and homeopahtic remedies. I hope to provide an uncut view of what life is really like as a working mom, minus the instagram filters and facebook bragging...I'll save that for facebook ;)

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Get it together, Remsburg!

7 weeks today! I went to have my first lab work appointment this morning, and it went a lot faster than I remember it going last time. Maybe I had more questions last time, maybe it seemed longer last time because I was so focused on it. Today I was more focued on...well, I couldn't tell you. Typical!

I'm finding one difference this time around is that eating the right foods is seemingly easier. I know, only 7 weeks in so no high-fives just yet. But, when I was pregnant with Kaleb he was still an abstract idea. I knew, intellectually, that what I ate he also ate, but I didn't have any idea what it really meant to feed your own baby. Now, when I eat, I imagine Kaleb eating that same thing, and if I wouldn't feed it to him I don't feed it to his baby sibling either. It is so much easier to envision this tiny baby as a real person, now that I've been through this before and have met and bonded with the outcome :)

I went the other day to tour a new day care, one that would be a lot closer to home for us. No decisions yet, just had a slow day at work so thought I'd get that taken care of (yes. I handle family business during work hours, but I also handle work business during family hours, so everyone just calm down).

On the way to the day care I started getting emotional thinking about all the changes Kaleb is going to be put through with this new baby. And I felt bad that he is going to have to share his mommy, because I worry that he isn't going to understand that. So I was thinking of ways I could make sure he understands that I still love him just as much, maybe have Daddy take care of the new baby more so I can spend time with Kaleb, go on special outings just Kaleb and Mommy, etc.

Then I started to feel bad for the new baby, because this baby won't get the undivided attention that Kaleb got as a newborn. All those ideas of spending special time with Kaleb involved me not spending that time with the baby. I worried that my bond to this baby can't possibly be as strong as my bond with Kaleb, not if I have to split myself between keeping Kaleb from missing Mommy and developing a strong bond with a new baby. Oy!

At one point I was seriously breathing shallow and getting panicky over this. So, I slapped myeslf (figuratively) and told myself to get it together. This Mother's Guilt stuff is so intense and I can not let myself get sucked down into it. I have too many other things to juggle!

I've heard and read that a mother's love just doubles when another child comes, it isn't a fixed pie that when it's gone it's gone. I hope it is more like a ground spring that just always keeps producing more and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment